Where can I find an riseup.net invite?

Where can I find an riseup.net invite?
They have been invite only for some time now and there is no real documentation on where you can get an invite from and also most of the people that use riseup don’t even mention that they use that service so finding someone that could share an invite is near impossible.

2 Likes

Hey if you don’t mind can you tell a little more about riseup.net I was scrolling through this forum and just came across this organisation
Can you tell what services do they provide and how they work??

The Riseup Collective is an autonomous body based in Seattle with collective members world wide. Our purpose is to aid in the creation of a free society, a world with freedom from want and freedom of expression, a world without oppression or hierarchy, where power is shared equally. We do this by providing communication and computer resources to allies engaged in struggles against capitalism and other forms of oppression.

We work to create revolution and a free society in the here and now by building alternative communication infrastructure designed to oppose and replace the dominant system.We promote social ownership and democratic control over information, ideas, technology, and the means of communication.

They provide email and they also host multiple foss instances.

I also think that they are a good provider because of their privacy policy ( Privacy Policy - riseup.net ), and overall reputation.

2 Likes

It is against their Terms of Service.

• Do not trade, sell, publicly give away, or publicly offer invites to people you don’t know.

Please do not ask for codes on the forum.

3 Likes

So basically you can only have an invite if you happen to know someone who is already a user
actually this is what intrigues me about invite only platforms more than the service it’s about the exclusivity

Hey! actually I searched a little about the service. Are you aware that you can directly ask riseup.net for an account? ,but you have to provide a valid enough reason and a good cause to justify why you need that mail.

1 Like

invite-only systems are usually introduced to reduce costs and keep the community secure. Similar change was implemented a while ago by cock(.)li

If you are looking for a decent VPN, check out Mullvad or IVPN.

If you are looking for a more private way to use email, consider using simplelogin (especially the premium tier)

Collaboration services like Etherpad or Up1 can be hosted on an inexpensive VPS.

Some concerns…

I’ve used the services offered by Riseup, since before when it was VPN Red, not Black (Bitmask VPN) and not their own code. That’s a lot of transitioning and it has led to a lot of struggling to find servers and donations and even help running the whole shebang. Since then, because there was no Bitmask app, it was all done by using OpenVPN configs as well, so, yeah. Fun times. There have been heaps of improvements to their services but they still struggle for donations and it has a lot of users worried it may close its doors permanently. They are a very good source for secure email, and they are incredibly good at their tradecraft. Over time, though, the organization has had its drawbacks, and a lot of newer people were signing up so they could spam/phish so it became a problem of choosing between shutting down or locking down the registration. It is what it is. A few really bad people (bomb threats, spammers, phishers, you name it) ruined it and it’s going to probably stay closed for registration for a while.

1. We really can’t give you invite links unless we know you IRL. This is because we can’t trust your intentions and we can’t violate their ToS.
  2. If I know you IRL you don’t have to ask me for a referral code. You probably already have the service since before they implemented the limit, back when it was a form you filled out and they reviewed it manually.
  3. If I gave someone a referral code that I couldn’t verify, that information stays on their server for a while, and if you spam or mistreat/abuse the services to do harm that comes back on us* because of the trust db.
  4. The services offered at these sort of activist/hacktivist organizations are available in many more forms than Riseup. You can see the entire list of radical servers here: Radical Servers - riseup.net
  5. I could even argue in some cases that Disroot is better than Riseup because even with the lack of VPN for Disroot, you get a less bulky amount of services that isn’t as attention-grabbing for law enforcement as a group that literally organizes sit-ins and other protests (not just digital ones) using its services. The best way to avoid scrutiny from LEAs is not to participate in radical movements, so do exercise caution in these sort of things.
  6. It’s not all it’s cracked up to be, trust me. The servers aren’t very speedy compared to Proton, but then it isn’t for speed. It’s used by whistleblowers, journalists, and cyber dissidents worldwide. The organization is transparent about funding and server issues and possible seizures, including the one where they had a group of agents come take their encrypted servers at their provider. That was a very dynamic situation that resulted in ZERO loss of data and ZERO compromise of security. The feds gained nothing. It was a waste of time for the FBI and proved that Riseup is more than capable of holding data security to a higher standard than most.

*: When I say “us” I mean users of the service; I am not a maintainer of their code, infrastructure or in any sort of domain with them.

The short answer or TL;DR: You won’t nor should you find a Riseup invite anywhere.

2 Likes