What kinds of apps do you use as a web apps on your phone?

I often hear the use of web apps as being a good way to mitigate some of the invasive tracking that app developers can get away with. I do use some web apps on my desktop, namely Discord, but when I look at all my phone apps I don’t see how any of them can be web apps instead of native apps.

Do you use any web apps on your phone? What are they? How is the experience different from the native app?

Social media

Only cryptee

I don’t use much social media except for like Discord and Reddit, and those I keep on my computer.

One app I did move to being a web app is Uber Eats. I’m thinking of doing other things just in the browser and leaving it at that.

Tangential question, but I heard that using a banking app is more secure that going through your browser. Is that true? Why is that the case?

I know from a privacy perspective the better option is to use a service or app through a browser than through a native app. One can argue that it doesn’t matter, especially depending on the service if it’s something like a bank, but Discord is a good example of something to keep in a private and secure browser.

But which is the more secure option? If you trust the software provider by virtue of using the app or service, is it better to use the native app rather than the web version? Based on what you shared it is better to download an app, but I wonder if anyone else has input. I’ve never thought about this aspect before.

One thing that led me to believe that even a web app can be reasonably secure if not more secure than native app is because of the security your browser has. This may not be the case so much with Firefox until relatively recently, but Chromium has had sandboxed tabs for years. Surely that extra layer does a lot to improve security?

Or maybe it’s all negligible? For my threat model it probably is.

if you are on ios then theres twitter, instagram, tiktok, twitch, newegg, and odysee. also replit but thats not meant for phone really.

1 Like

Business:

• Twitter
  • Cryptee

Personal:

• Cryptee

However, on my computer, almost everything is PWAs. I feel PWAs have come further along on desktop than on mobile, so I use them more often there.

For me banks web apps

Social/ services
This site
Starbucks
Cryptee

Manual lib(search up online manuals)
Apertium.org(open translator)

That is interesting to hear. I know that PWAs are great having come from a cloud-based (read Chrome OS) workflow and they’ve been more than capable for almost any workflow I would do on a computer. A big part of why I was able to switch to Linux is because a browser was really my de facto operating system, meaning that I could get things done on any computer.

With Chromium browsers, some websites and web apps with show an Install option in the omnibox from which you can “install” the app to your computer. What this does really is give you an icon like any other app you have, a separate window so that the rest of the browser doesn’t have to be working, and other integrations like notifications (though you don’t have to install to have this many times) and some offline capabilities.

Some web apps don’t let you “install” so easily, but you can just select for that page to open in its own window and it will basically do the same thing. Discord is like that, for example.

Short answer: yes, there is a desktop equivalent to the “Add to Home Screen” feature.

I guess this thread could probably turn into a discussion on the pros and cons of web-based applications vs their native counterparts, lol.

1 Like

sorry to wake up this sleeping thread but i felt it was an appropriate place to ask what chromium-based browsers people are making PWAs with on android ?
i now use an android for work and i’ve gone with brave after going through its settings but i wanted to ask if there are S-tier android PWA browsers, so to speak ^^;

i do recall using a standalone app from f-droid known as ‘WebApps’, i believe it had a yellow UI, but looking at it now it seems to have last been updated a year ago so i didn’t think it was a wise idea to use that

if it would have been a better idea for me to open a new thread i apologize and can only learn from my mistakes ^^

I’m sorry, that I don’t have an answer for Soafen.

Android

• ProtonMail
  • Invidious
  • DeepL
  • Weather app
    (I don’t have social media and most of the apps I have are FOSS.)

Desktop

• ProtonMail
  • Spotify
  • Reddit

I think Brave is a fine option for web apps. Most Chromium-based browsers that are recommended in the privacy community will probably be fine to use for web apps. I’m not aware of any features that one browser is adding over another, so you’ve started with a good choice! :+1:

1 Like

Desktop

• Proton Suite (Mail, Drive, Calandar)
  • Cryptee

Mobile

• Cryptee
1 Like

Actually for me it is about when i don’t found any benefit/difference or extra features when i use the app of any website/service

for example:

• most of the google apps keep, translator etc…
  • discord, twitter, linkedin…

mobile and desktop

My thought process is similar. If it’s an app that needs the internet to work anyway, it may as well be a web app. However, if the app is syncing the data and I could use it offline if I needed to, then I’ll be more likely to keep as an app.

The things I use the most are a few crypto wallet things, kindle, messaging and maps. But I generally like real computers much much better than mobile so I don’t used phones as much as many.