- it has a lot of connections you can’t control. Right at the start it connects to variations.brave.com
- when you start the browser for the first time a
BraveServiceKey is generated which is transmitted to Brave servers for requests. This domain is used for experiments on a subset of Brave users. It’s unclear if this can be deactivated or if you are even part of the test group.
- sends a lot of telemetry data which needs to be deactivated manually
- add ons can only be installed with connecting to Google (Chrome)
- Allows the reloading of Google and Facebook scripts. The user has to disbale it manually.
- it starts connections to dictionaries and also sends your OS infos to 3rd party or affiliates
checked at Brave: Datensendeverhalten Desktop-Version – Browser-Check Teil1 ⋆ Kuketz IT-Security Blog (use translator of your choice).
In addition braves seach engine brave search states the following:
This data – if you allow us to collect it – is anonymous and only analyzed in aggregate. It will never identify you or your machine. The data tells us if Brave Search is useful enough to use again and, in turn, gives us a signal that we are approaching a viable alternative to other search engines.
Brave does not ask if you want to be part of the telemetry. Brave advertises itself as privacy-friendly out-of-the-box. It says nowhere that you have to actively object to tracking. This is safewashing.
Additionally Brave Search is hosted at Amazon Webservers (hello GAFAM).
Protonmail had released user data to authorities a year or two ago. In addition, Switzerland has been loosening its strict data protection laws for a long time. Switzerland is not part of the EU and is not subject to the GDPR.
You are sending your entire data traffic via this provider. Whether a VPN provider actually does not log or analyzes a user’s data traffic cannot be evaluated from someone outside Mullvard. I therefore do not recommend ANY vpns which are commercial or uncommercial. You have to compeltley trust the service, so it’s better you set it up yourself (if you can do it).