Welcome to Techlores, Private Forum, I’m the first non techlore affiliated person on here lol

So how y’all’s day been, also what caused you to care about privacy?

10 Likes

Welcome! I’ll start :stuck_out_tongue:
I learned about VPNs trying to bypass my school’s network way back in the day. VPNs eventually exposed me to some of the ideas of privacy, so I picked up a copy of The Art of Invisibility. Instantly fell in love with privacy since then.

7 Likes

Honestly I don’t really remember. I think first really considered it in 2013 (when most people probably did lol), but I’d always been more interested in the self-hosting/open-source side of computing rather than the privacy/security side, until recently. I wasn’t really a “privacy person” until I started working on privacyguides.org in April 2019.

My day’s been good, can’t complain.

5 Likes

Hey!
Glenn Greenwald’s Ted talk “why privacy matters” got the ball rolling for me, and watching allot of Techlore!

3 Likes

I got invited by a friend, which i shared Bitcoin interests with (they got banned later lol), i did not care(rather know) too much about privacy back then (a little bit about security). I somehow ended up getting addicted to Techlore due finding many relatives being also nerds like me.
When i joined and there was a talk about Home-labs ongoing, so i posted my setup and we had a great discussion about it, i actually learned a lot this day already. And here i am! :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

I’ve cared about privacy since I’ve discovered what Free/Libre software was and how much saner the Linux desktop is (no start menu ads, no cortana, no browser being forced down your throat by your OS).

IMO if there’s one talk that’s the most convincing of the current problems with surveillance capitalism is Zeynep Tufekci’s We’re building a dystopia just to make people click on ads, but Glenn Greenwald’s talk is also pretty good.

2 Likes

seeing google’s location history and prediction of interests did it for me. it was creepy to see my family’s web activity be seen as an opportunity to target ads.

4 Likes

I think it was when google home and alexa started becoming big and I was like why are they listening all the time and I was like hell no am I having something listening in my room 24/7 sending it all to google or amazon

since then I’ve always wanted a smart home but a local one which doesnt send data to god knows where

3 Likes

if you want to have smart home but without them calling home you might wanna look at z wave products (yes they are expensive, but extremely good and dont phone home) or zigbee dongle

EDIT: in combination with home assistant pretty strong!

4 Likes

oh I know all about HA and zwave and zigbee just very skint lmao

1 Like

Events of 2013 for sure, though as an IT processional even prior to that Ive always had a vest interest in providing data privacy through security.

3 Likes

Hello. My day is going ok. I was forced to care about privacy\security due to being cyber hacked\stalked for the last year.

1 Like

I have a friend who is super into internet privacy. They got me into the community and now I’m here.

2 Likes

Hey people, a pleasure to meet you all. About 7 or so years ago I started to pay more attention to facebook and there data collection methods. it sorta threw me down the rabbit hole of social engineering and data collection. Since then all social media except Mastodon and a reddit account that gets deleted every few months I kinda stay away from social media.

I hope this message found you all well. Have an awesome evening/night.

1 Like

The Glen Greenwald TED talk, and then hearing about the numerous data breaches that occur weekly.

Welcome to Techlore Forums!

I started caring about privacy because i had someone threatened they had personal information about me and then found out they was joking. This lead me to research and came to youtube about privacy and security. Now i am here, I am glad i got the privacy to protect my data and be safe online and in real life. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I do not want my personal data stolen by bad person and then all my connected friends and family will get the collateral damage.

Got my friends who who learned computer and IT to influenced me and taught me how to use a computer properly back then at my younger age.

With many apps trying to steal our personal and chat data, it is our responsibility to protect it. Joining Techlore forum will give us a way to achieve that in some ways.

1 Like

I used to be an average google user, until one day I wasn’t… (bum bum bummmmm)

I had 5 years+ worth of photos on google photos and they decided it would be a fun day to completely hard lock my google account, no way to get in. at all. So, I started looking into alternatives to just about everything and decided to switch everything in my life FOSS (or just really private), and here I am, using as many privacy-oriented services as I can now and enjoying every bit of it.

I will say, it’s a bit frustrating trying to do this while also having friends and family who don’t get the concept of privacy and anonymity and think I’m weird for it, or that I’m doing something illegal all the time.

they aren’t entirely wrong : )

1 Like

Read ‘Permanent Record’ > Watched Glenn Greenwald’s Ted Talk > Read Brittany Kaiser’s ‘The Data Dictatorship’ = Another interest that takes up increasingly more time.

2 Likes

I’ve always been someone who respected privacy on a personal level, but it was the Snowden revelations that really got me started down the path of trying to help others protect their privacy - and just seeing that privacy is not just a “me” thing, it’s a “we” thing.

4 Likes