Threat model community study: click to participate!

The main objective of this post is to discover the most implemented threat model levels in this community.

What's a threat model?

A low threat model generally means you value convenience over privacy & security while a high threat model means you’re willing to go the extra mile for your privacy & security.

Basic:
How to properly threat model - Techlore
The convenience line - Techlore

Advanced:
What is threat modeling and why it is important? - CBT Nuggets
Threat modeling - Tom Olzak
Threat model: 12 available methods - Blog

This will help figure out the balance between users, and will give a general idea about everybody’s thought process.
The voting will always be active for new users to be able to join.
Note: this test will be heavily influenced by self bias, try to give a reasonable answer that fits you.

Rate your level of threat modeling with 1 being the lowest and 20 being the highest.

What do the numbers mean?

To understand the voting system I have split the numbers into zones:

• Zone 1 is 1-5 and would be something like: I don’t care about P&S
  • Zone 2 is 5-10 and would be something like: I care about P&S but I don’t want it to affect my daily use
  • Zone 3 is 10-15 and would be something like: I do care about P&S and I am willing to sacrifice usability
  • Zone 4 is 15-20 and would be something like: I have a very high threat model and I need to be constantly worrying about P&S.
Threat model level

0 voters

1 Like

Can you explain the quantifiable difference between 12 and 15, or any of the numbers for that matter?

I have a hard time seeing how this makes sense.

The way I see it is as different zones so :

Zone 1 is 1-5 and would be something like I don’t care about P&S

Zone 2 is 5-10 and would be something like I care about P&S but I don’t want it to affect my daily use

Zone 3 is 10-15 and would be like I do care about P&S and I am willing to sacrifice usability for it

Zone 4 is 15-20 and would be like I have a very high threat model and I need to be constantly
worrying about P&S.

The numbers in each zones would be how far do you see yourself inside that zone.

This test is meant to be a more general overview and a way to feed my curiosity

That list makes more sense than picking a number between 1 and 20, at least you have a some idea of there you are relative to everyone else.

1 Like

Thanks for your question! I’ve added that into the topic.

What if you personally do not have to care about P&S as much, but have contact to people that need C&S, or otherwise they might be in huge trouble (e.g. anti Putin people in Russia)

I’d put whatever I believe in regardless of what the circumstances make me do