Things to self-host

This post is for people to share suggestions about cool projects that people can self-host.

Some examples:
BitWarden
Nextcloud
Jitsi-meet
Pfsense
OpenVPN
NGINX http server.

3 Likes
  • Cryptpad
  • Etherpad
  • Onlyoffice server
  • Matrix server
  • Xmpp server
  • Gitea
  • Privatebin
  • Mumble
  • Simplelogin
2 Likes

Privatebin & Cryptpad & Nextcloud & Wireguard VPN server

2 Likes

nitter and invidious are also great

2 Likes

These aren’t something one can self host. They don’t fit the definition of “self-hosting” lol. I mean they aren’t services to be used unlike something like Bitwarden or Nextcloud.

PfSense is literally a router firmware and NGINX HTTP Server is well…the name speaks for itself.

Consider using OPNSense instead of PfSense as OPNSense is more updated than PFSense.

1 Like

I understand your argument. However, they are am alternative to a pre-packaged 3rd party solution that you run on your own hardware and provide services to your network. And they require the same sort of expertise to install and administer.

For example, an NGINX server can be the base to a self-hosted project, or can act as a reverse proxy on you network to allow you to host other projects.

You don’t want Email to be added in this list

I want to add here that you don’t want to self host email if you do not have the required knowledge to do so. It requires time and effort and a shit ton of knowledge about IT and cybersecurity is required to secure it. Just think about it , we see breaches all the time think about what could happen to your little server dear reader. Something like Protonmail would serve your purpose well. For 99% of the time your email lands in someone’s Gmail anyways.

Emails shouldn’t be used for serious communications in the first place and something like Signal should be used cause-

• Even if emails are somehow made E2E they cannot protect your metadata since email’s like that by design
  • Can’t send attachments larger than ~30 MB
  • No PFS
  • Tedious to secure messages (OpenPGP)
  • Very slow compared to Real time communication services
2 Likes

For many people, they should not host their own email. Unless they know how to: lockdown linux, configure their email server to use TLS, configure SPF records, configure DKIM records, and configure a DMARC policy.

It is also true that the only privacy gain is where users on the same server communicate, assuming they trust the administrator who can access their emails and metadata. Some organisations host their emails because they can afford the expertise, and it is helpful to keep internal communications in-house. Some partially offload the responsibility to Microsoft and Google but configure the domain security themselves.

2 Likes

TLS?

Securing linux alone requires a cybersec degree let alone the spoofing prevention/authentication stuff.

Yes TLS, sorry typo. Also securing Linux is hard, and even when ‘secure’ it needs monitoring and patching. However the point of this thread is to enable people who have the confidence and/or ability to try, to share ideas about what they can host. And I feel like we are getting off topic.

I self-host most services that I use however I do not self host Bitwarden and I’d love some input on this, because I have not read too much into the process.

• Bitwarden is arguably the most important digital asset I have; it contains keys to everything. How do you all deal with the potential of the home-server becoming non-operable or encountering data loss e.g. dead drives, house fires, natural disasters, theft etc. Self-hosting Bitwarden seems like an extreme risk to take with this in mind, when Bitwarden can host them for you, where there is next to zero risk of data loss, for an extremely low fee.

edit: on topic - services I’m hosting at the moment

• Jellyfin; Radarr; Sonarr;Jackett; qBittorrent.
  • Pi-hole; Syncthing;
  • Photoprism; yt-dlp.
2 Likes

You are right that there are risks to self-hosting BitWarden. If you are thinking of doing this, you obviously want your 321 backup rule in place:
3 copies of your data,
2 media types,
1 off-site.

I also recommend that your main server has at least RAID 1, to protect against drive failures.

As for the setup process. BitWarden provide really clear documentation for setup in both a Windows and Linux environment. The install is Docker based. The docker images cam be a week or so behind when the admin panel says there are updates.

You can update using the ‘-updateslef’ and ‘-update’ flags for the install script, either ‘Bitwarden.sh’ on Linux or ‘Bitwarden.ps1’ on Windows. ’

You will need to register the server with BitWarden as part of the setup process, and to licence it if you want certain features. From my conversations with support, there is also no way to get the server to email you when
a licence you have applied is about to expire. So you will need to monitor it yourself.

Besides video hosting, is most of this stuff possible on a single rasberi-pi?
I would imagine selfhosing would take up a good amount of memory, not to mention this is something I want but yet to do

At the moment I only self-host:

• XMPP server
  • Shadowsocks server
  • OpenVPN server

I want to host my XMPP server through .onion instead of the clearnet and I need help with that (I use prosody), I will probably open a separate topic for that.

Just my 2 cents but I suggest you don’t host things you won’t be using because each thing hosted requires maintenance and well… you wont do it if you don’t use it. However, I will chime in with Paperless-ngx in case people neeed this sort of thing but didn’t know it existed.

1 Like

self-hosted vpn server is just a foolish decision if you are going to use it for your privacy unless you obtain the vps anonymously. Though it would be just a cool “project” if you want to try out. You will learn many things about a linux server in the process.

Interesting, thanks for the explanation. Doesn’t seem worth the effort or risk to me as the benefits are minimal for now.

I have NextCloud on a raspberry pi 4, works great!

I’m currently self-hosting:

• Jellyfin (only accessible on my home network though)
  • Vikunja (to-do app)
  • Whoogle (Google search front-end, I don’t use it much, but it’s cool to have)
  • Tiny Tiny RSS
2 Likes

It’s pointless for 90% of the time. But for the other 10% of the time you can use it for accessing Geo blocked content and saving money whilest booking hotels internationally etc. For God’s sake don’t use it to hide from the Goverment though. Under a court order the VPS service provider can do some nasty stuff too.