Syncthing vs Nextcloud (selfhosted)

Hi there!
I want to selfhost some things to have more control on my privacy.
I’m using Synthing to copy photos (for example) directly to my computer.
If I get a Raspberry for selfhosting, is it better to use Syncthing (it’s possible to use mobile network instead of just Wi-Fi) or Nextcloud with E2EE?
Thanks!

It depends on what you want to do.

If you just want to sync images from your phone, then it’s overkill to self-host NextCloud, it’s a fully featured cloud solution.

I’m self-hosting a NC server, and I don’t use any of the encryption features. The biggest issue with the encryption features is that they greatly limit the usability, E2EE only work with some clients, local storage encryption limits search functions, etc.

I use NC for anything that doesn’t have personal information, music, video, calendar, project planning, to-do lists, office documents, etc.

Everything with personal information that I would need to encrypt I keep on my Proton Drive.

I tried self-hosting Nextcloud and the process was pretty painful. NC is very cool in concept but in practice is very buggy and not so beginner-friendly to self-host. The Android app is also not very good. And all that is without enabling the experimental E2EE module, which apparently makes things even more difficult. Syncthing on the other hand is a real breeze to set up and syncs way faster than Nextcloud does. It’s pretty bare bones on terms of what it does, but if your only goal is sync, it really is the way to go.

1 Like

Thanks for your answers. And just for the sync part, is Syncthing more secure than Nextcloud if I enable mobile data?

As best as I can tell, both Syncthing and Nextcloud use TLS to encrypt data in transit, so they should be comparable on that front. Not sure how the mobile data portion of your question specifically is relevant, but I would assume your data provider would know as much as they would for any encrypted connection, namely, where the data is coming from and going to, but not what the data contains. I can’t speak to the specific security implementations of each piece of software, but as a rule of thumb simple software is easier to secure than complex software and Syncthing is certainly simpler than NextCloud. You can consult each project’s website for more information.

https://docs.syncthing.net/users/security.html