Should you use ungoogled Chromium? and for which purpose?

How safe is the speration done by ungoogled chromium by the different profiles you can create? And how do the profiles impact on the fingerprint? Because i have a unique fingerprint altough i created a fresh profile and went to coveryourtracks.eff.org to test it

Coveryourtracks from eff shows me that: Your Results

Within our dataset of several hundred thousand visitors tested in the past 45 days, only one in 85241.0 browsers have the same fingerprint as yours.

Currently, we estimate that your browser has a fingerprint that conveys 16.38 bits of identifying information.

So why is the browser unique, if i go to the website with a new profile? I didn’t change anything

In short: Do not use ungoogled Chromium. It is a really weird browser with less security than Chromium, a little bit less Google in it (the only that you should care about is that ddg is the standard search engine) and that basically is it.

If you care about security or privacy, do NOT use ungoogled Chromium!
Chromium is great, just switch the search engine from Google to whatever you like. Ungoogle Chromium is dangerous (worse security) and makes you really unique (close to no privacy/anonymity)

4 Likes

so brave would be better

In most use cases, yes. Brave is a mostly sane browser.

If you like what they add to Chromium, go for it. If you don’t need it, stay with Chromium.

4 Likes

I’ll also add that it seems pretty easy to accidentally be super fringerprintable. The simpler you keep whatever browser you use, like using as few extensions as possible, will help in that regard.

1 Like