Recommendations for remote support for mobile devices so I may help out with privacy, etc

My parents are open to improving privacy and security. That’s great! For their mobile devices (running Android), however, I’ve help them when I visit (physically present). It’s too far in between visits for me to keep their mobile devices updated properly and educate them on what we are changing out and why. Having them describe their screens is painfully slow. My patience has limits :wink:

Therefore, I’d like input on a solution such as Teamviewer using QuickSupport or Splashtop or whatever so I may have a parent connect their phone and share the screen (easy for them since they are lower tech level) in a way that I may view and manipulate on my end to diagnose issues, help with updates/installs and such.

Thoughts?

Note: that this is about mobile devices for screen sharing/support. Desktop support is easily done with a screen share in Zoom.

1 Like

Found this one at alternativeto.net: GitHub - rustdesk/rustdesk: Open source virtual / remote desktop infrastructure for everyone! The open source TeamViewer alternative. Display and control your PC and Android devices.

PSA: Please don’t use Zoom if you can avoid it. Both their security and privacy practices are horrible (lying about E2EE is just the icing on the cake).

You are far better off using a FOSS and privacy-respecting alternative like Jitsi Meet (self-hostable / official instance / community instances).

Even Google Meet should be strongly preferred over Zoom, no matter how much you dislike Google.

4 Likes

Hi @anon33963123 , I appreciate this input. I am interested in hearing more on this topic (perhaps in another thread). I have the challenge in my small business of working with vendors and customers who use what is known and available (i.e. Zoom and Google Meet). I must balance convenience with leading by example. Why? Because I need the buy-in of the other person to try something new. When I don’t have that buy-in, then I choose to preserve the relationship.

Here’s what I’m willing to do. I’ll look into Jitsi Meet and other tools depending on what I learn in the forum. Then, I must decide how I may easily deploy and educate customers and teammates to try it and use it.

I anticipate some folks thinking, “What’s the issue? It’s not that hard to do.” Well, consider that change from the status quo for folks who didn’t ask for the change (think my customers) must be considered. There is a personal art to marketing to folks where they feel good about doing something different. A master posted yesterday about the difference between marketing and promotion. Help me choose and deploy the tech. Then, I’ll work on how to get folks to feel good about trying it out.

Thoughts?

I think you’re approach is right, especially if it’s based on the average threat model that most people are actually dealing with. If recommending something other than Zoom would be tough for whatever reason, you just gotta take the L and use Zoom to get the job done. For the average person, there are more important things to secure before worrying about using Zoom, in my opinion.

Jitsi seems relatively accessible from what I’ve seen, so hopefully that works out for you.

I understand fully, which is why I said “if you can avoid it”.

Also, ironically, this is a case where Jitsi Meet has a much lower barrier to entry than the proprietary solutions (Zoom especially, which uses extremely strong dark patterns to get you to install their malware instead of using the web client).

I think, if you are the one setting up and hosting the video meetings, it is actually quite easy to just say ‘here is the link’ and provide a Jitsi meeting link without much pushback since there is no need to download and install anything. I successfully used Jitsi in a production environment in the past, while everyone else was doing the same thing with Zoom or Google Meet. No one cared, even though Jitsi was a fair bit less polished than it is now. (Sorry for being vague on details.)

And yes, I have good reason to call Zoom ‘malware’. Technical details about this and other flagrant security issues with Zoom

4 Likes