Privacy of Kconnect

so i’m new to linux and advanced computing in general and i’m not sure how kde’s kconnect works exactly, but specifically i was wondering if putting the android app on my phone would give google a backdoor to my other linux machines. just wondering because it’d be nice to connect my devices but making all these changes for my desktop experience to be google free to then give them a way to track it all anyway seems counter productive. i’m guessing that google doesn’t have direct access to track what i do in the app, just that i’m using it, right?

thoughts?

Isn’t this gatekeeping?

And doesn’t Android use the Linux kernel?

It’s important to remember that privacy isn’t the only priority in life. If you think it will make your work easier go for it. I do not use kconnect, but I am pretty sure google won’t have direct access to track.

No, KDE Connect does not track you in any way. The only thing that I could think of is if your Android phone tracks your files and you share a file from your Linux computer to your phone. But the app itself doesn’t allow for spying on the paired device.

doesn’t henry use stock android? he had a whole vid about it. but also, it’s a goal i’m working towards.

calm down, who hurt you?

totes is

from what i understand, it’s been so heavily modded by google that it’s basically not linux, just based on. more research may be needed.

you right. but it’s a personal goal to improve it where i can so i wanted to ask and see. i’ll probably end up trying it out and if i see targeted ads again or anything like that i’ll know to uninstall. or just get that linux phone lol

@Kleysley if that’s all i got to avoid then it should be okay.

ty everyone :arrow_up:

2 Likes

Figured I’d try and help answer your question.

KDE Connect is privacy respecting, and you don’t really need to worry about this. It’s open source, and worked on by a well known and reputable group, KDE. Just two things to note:

1. Google will know that something is being done with the app, through the notification system, and device logs. They won’t know what’s being done, but they’ll know your phone is trying to communicate with a device on a local network.
  2. With the app installed, and running, it’ll constantly check to see if your computer is on the same network. Even on public WiFi it’ll be broadcasting the equivalent of “Hey, is “harvo_marx’s PC” here.” Depending on your threat model, this could be quite dangerous, and a possible attack vector for hackers. Easy solution, don’t use public WiFi and/or disable the app when you leave your network.
1 Like