Moving away from Google Drive

Hi all,

I need some advice. I’m looking to make the switch away from Google Drive; for the time being I’ve chosen MEGA and I’ve been transferring data into that, since it’s open source and encrypted, has earned a very good reputation, and gives me 50 gb of free storage. However, for the past several years I’ve been using Google Docs as my main word processor, and Google Sheets as my main spreadsheet software. MEGA doesn’t provide these services.

There’s the option of converting to an open source offline office suite, like LibreOffice; I like the idea of my files being stored locally, but this negates the possibility of my files being editable across devices (which is a must for me in some cases), and also the possibility of real-time collaboration (also very important).

I’ve looked into online FOSS office software, but I haven’t found much.

I know there are also self-hosting options like NextCloud, which in some ways seems like the best alternative, but I haven’t really been able to get my head around the whole self-hosting thing, and at the moment I don’t really have the resources to set up my own server, with the necessary backups, etc. Exploring this option further is a goal I have for the future.

Do you have any recommendations for someone in my situation at present? Am I overlooking anything within the possibilities I’ve mentioned? Do you have any suggestions about something I haven’t mentioned at all?

Thanks very much for your time and your help.

Welcome to the forum!

One option that recently came on my radar is OnlyOffice. They provide a productivity suite similar to LibreOffice but also provide web app tools and cloud storage similar to what you’d expect from Google Workspace. I learned about these other cloud features through a sponsor in a video and I haven’t looked at it more closely, but it may be something that works for you. In this case you would be moving away from MEGA as well since I’m not aware of a way to use the OnlyOffice web apps with MEGA’s storage.

I’m in a similar boat where I would love to have a private version of Google Workspace but I don’t see anything that meets my needs. OnlyOffice is a recent option that I want to investigate myself. The other option is Proton. They have email, a calendar, and their VPN, but I’m waiting to see what their Proton Drive offering becomes. If it gives me something like Dropbox where files are syncing from a folder on my computer to the cloud, I can make that work. If they can provide web app editors in someway, I think that would be the winner for me. However, it remains to be seen because as of now it’s in beta and is basically a cloud USB.

1 Like

Thanks for your replies, @InternetGhost and @anon7610589. I will definitely look into these options.

2 Likes