I've seen a lot of people not care about privacy

I’ve seen a lot of people not care about privacy over my journey and I just wanted to ask, what do you think of this? A lot of them rebut with “I don’t care if a huge corporation is selling and shilling my data” or “I have nothing to hide” or even “the chances of getting hacked are astronomically small and I can just change my passwords” I, myself have thought about this topic countless times and having a mental debate with both sides of me. The only reason I’m still in this community is the friends I’ve made, how I don’t see much of a sacrifice for better privacy, and the real possibility of doxxing. I was wondering what YOU guys think and are there any glaring factors the public is missing?

4 Likes

As little thought-provoking: Privacy goes way beyond your personal tracking. That data is used to control everyone on the platform and lead them into one given directions (e.g. Cambridge Analytica).
Also if people don’t care about privacy you as government can start doing whatever you want and starting mass surveillance aka gaining control over everyone in your country and everyone who does not fit in will get “healed” (e.g. re-education camps in WW2, Vietnam, North Korea or happening right now in China the Uyghur folk). Of cause it does NOT stop there. Modern technologies are getting abused linearly everywhere to make all this happen.

Most people are not even aware of it, therefor they can’t assess the danger in missing privacy/security and then even governments working against that with anti-encryption campaigns or protect the children excuses.

5 Likes

I swear they gonna think all of us are in a cult :rofl:

3 Likes

I think it also has to do with the lack of severe consequences. The only visible and noticeable thing about being tracked on the web are the personalized ads. Most people won’t care about that. Even the whole Cambridge Analytica debacle didn’t seem to increase public awareness. Sure, Trump got in office and they managed to significantly influence elections in some African countries. Impact on our day to day lives? insignificant if any at all.

There have been plenty of factors that the public didn’t miss. Unless you have an interest in the topic or suffered consequences because someone impersonated you using your public Facebook profile or whatever, people don’t care.

It’s like smoking. We’ve known that it’s a major health risk for years now. It increases the risk of cancer significantly, but people still smoke. It’s addictive by design (Like social media is designed to keep you engaged as long as possible). You don’t get cancer after smoking one pack in the same way you don’t get depressed after scrolling through your IG feed for 15 min. The consequences are not immediate.

2 Likes

Flashbacks to the Texas Border Wall… etc.

Sadly people don’t care let them be a victim of identity fraud and stolen money/houses. We will be protected so will our kids/wife. Sucks for them they will spend countless hours calling to fix their shit that they also don’t care about either. so you have to protect yourself.

I hate to make this comparison, but privacy is like politics and religion. People will choose what they feel fits them best while being preached at that privacy is overrated. Privacy is like being in in your home - and not pulling the blinds - many think it’s ok - until its not.

4 Likes

The truth is many people don’t want to sacrifice the convenience of the products they use for the sake of preventing something like a data breach or identity fraud from occurring. For many people the only way to get them to seriously consider privacy is when an unfortunate event occurs that might severely disrupt their life.

This is why I think it is important to threat model, and to know what you’re willing to give up for the sake of privacy. For example, while social media is bad in several ways, it is also a legitimate method of communication with friends and family. Are you willing to let go of that communication for more privacy? It’s very complicated and in the end it comes to how you feel and what your situation is.

I would also recommend listening to Michael Bazzel’s podcast on this topic, as he goes in depth on some methods to try to convince others to care a bit more. I don’t remember which show it is, hopefully someone below can link it lol.

4 Likes

I suggest many folks understand the trade-offs using a big tech tool and their privacy. As a business person, I see how customers want to fix their pains. No pain, no problem. The same applies to people who love convenience and feel ZERO PAIN related to their data being collected, sold and used. Granted, there may be actual pain to them yet they do not perceive it as pain. Perception is reality. (Tech companies are savvy to not create direct pain and, in fact, create pleasure based on human brain functions. Think “encouraged addiction.”) In the minds of some friends (and I suspect the broader US) “there is nothing to fix here”. In fact, these tools are seen as a valued service (for what the tools do) and, therefore, why seek alternatives? Path of least resistance. While folks in this community value privacy, be aware that others may value things much more highly. Keep an open mind please. To close, I will agree to disagree with my privacy-whatever friends and be agreeable; that’s how I lead by example.

2 Likes

Privacy’s been rising as a topic recently, so it might come across a bit less niche. Also, this is why we should emphasise small steps first! If you start off with setting up Nextcloud before managing accounts, you just look weird.

6 Likes

Yes, @Jeff_with_a_D confirmation bias is powerful. Unless someone is openminded and hears compelling evidence to change (or at least experience cognitive dissonance), there is no reason to change one’s beliefs. That’s why people evangelize (to use your religion metaphor) – to respectfully spread the word. In this community’s case, the “battlefield to spread the word” is out there – among our friends, family and members of society – that privacy is super important. It takes time and guts to spread an idea. Keep the faith :wink:

3 Likes

there’s a good saying I like to quote when people say they have nothing to hide. “We all know what goes on in the bathroom, but we still close the door”.

When people say they don’t care, they really do care but they just don’t realise it yet. I’ll take something major for people to realise their ignorance to this. For example I have a friend who said this up til her facebook got hacked and suddenly £1400 was taken out of her bank account and she realised how she’d lose her career purely based on the jokey conversations she had on messenger, and how she couldn’t continue uni without that money. Also I bet Ukrainians right now are far more concerned about their privacy now that russians are trying to take over their homes, round them up and literally torturing and murdering them. Suddenly it matters when something massive happens and people are filled with regret about something they thought they didn’t care about.

With that said I try not to preach to my friends and only answer questions when asked about it. I don’t want to come across as an annoying conspiracy nut and I don’t want to drive people away from their own privacy journeys by having them think that. Each person needs to make the journey on their own and sadly most people just won’t.

1 Like

I have tried to convince many people to improve their privacy and/or security (with a few successful attempts) and i think that most people simply do not think that the lack of those values will affect their life.

There are 2 things that (in my humble opinion) should be discussed separately here. The mass data collection and targeted attacks.

The mass data collection will most likely not be an issue big enough for an average Joe to notice it (unless some very unlikely circumstances will occur). Sure, people might get their data harvested and used for advertisement, manipulating the opinion of masses or something around the line, but this is not going to visibly influence the lives of the individuals. This is why most people will not care about that.

Targeted attacks on the other hand are something different, since even a normal person can become a victim of a stalker/script-kiddie/nosy inmate and get their accounts/funds/identity stolen . In this case, there is a chance that people might bother with improving their stuff. However, i have noticed that the majority of people still wont care about the topic, unless something bad will happen to them. A handful of people is actually open to improvements, while still requiring an assist during that. But the vast majority of people think that they do not need any improvements and they are okay with how they life works. Some of the also claim that the cost of installing a browser extension/password manager/setting up 2FA etc. is far too big for them to care. And I honestly don’t blame them (It is their life, and therefore their decisions), I just hope that if one day something bad will happen to them, they will learn from their mistakes and start to care about their privacy and security.

3 Likes

If someone “won’t take the time to do something” such as install a password manager or secure their accounts, then the natural consequences will be the best teacher. Until some people feel pain, why change? If one values comfort highly, then putting something off (that seems onerous) until tomorrow is often the choice made in the present moment.

I encourage you to have one-on-one chats with folks with open minds who have expressed some interest in privacy and better security practices. If they are interested or feeling a bit of pain, then you have a moment to connect. If close minded or “don’t worry about it” attitude, then don’t waste your time.

3 Likes

Related: