Is anonymity really that important?

This post aims to make me understand why I should fit anonymity in my threat model.

Branching from the discussion How do you model privacy, security, anonymity, etc?:

Privacy and security have been the two biggest parts of my threat model.
Consequently I always felt like I left anonymity a little behind.

I understand that anonymity by itself is vital and plays a big role especially regarding very high threat models like activists or journalists or targeted people.
I understand the importance of anonymity online as It’s good to hide your real identity.
I know that anonymity regarding services let’s your data not be tied to you.
I also know that Privacy and security does in itself bring anonymity and vice-versa.

However what I don’t get is, does someone that already has basic privacy and security practices really need anonymity?
ex: If you have good compartmentalization and you’re using email aliases shouldn’t your actions not be tied to you in the first place?
Why should I be considering anonymity in my threat model if I already have a high degree of privacy?

If I miss something, feel free to correct me.

From my experience with working on strengthening privacy and security, I find unlike the first two, anonymity is achievable in particularly specific contexts. Like, it isn’t a challenge to achieve a reasonable level of privacy and security in every context. However, trying to be anonymous in everything will be.

It’s like how neither Privacy.com nor Signal provides anonymity, mainly privacy and security.

That being said, I find when practicing excellent privacy and security, anonymity is rather a consequence. Like, to practice excellent privacy and security, you find how to achieve a reasonable level of anonymity in a specific situation, like being anonymous on a forum to protect yourself.

Not to mention, like how privacy and security are sliding scales, so is anonymity. I’ll give an example.

Suppose I am a one-off voice actress and you are the head of a film. I voice in your film and I tell you that I wish to remain anonymous. Now, while I remain anonymous to the public, I am not anonymous to you because you know that I worked with you. Not to mention, those who are really extreme may as well try stalking my voice to find out who I really am, which is difficult to do.

In this situation, I am anonymous, however not perfectly. I am anonymous from whom I want to be anonymous from. This style of anonymity becomes a consequence upon excellent privacy and security. And that’s a good thing.

Here is another example: Faceless YouTubers. While they may be anonymous from their audience and doing a great job not disclosing things about themselves, YouTube likely and (possibly) managerial teams they have (if they do) still know who they are.

Challenge: can anyone come up with a situation of being secure and anonymous without being private?

1 Like

This is what I always think.

I don’t see how this website would know anything real about me other than my first name; Alex. I use a VPN so it can only see a fake IP, I use email aliases, I don’t really understand how this account isn’t anonymous (ignoring my first name)

I will link this Is Privacy A Human Right? | Human Rights Careers as it should answer your question. Anonymity is important, but it all comes down to “why do we need privacy?”
As I see it, anonymity is similar to privacy.