"If you have nothing to hide you have nothing to fear." -COUNTERARGUMENTS

I would like to read some good, concise, counter-arguments to the infamous “I don’t care about privacy because I have nothing to hide,” cop-out.
I understand that there are several versions of this statement, or state of mind, that prioritizes convenience over privacy, but I think you all understand what I mean.
(It would be great if the counter-arguments weren’t book-length)
Thanks.

1 Like

I’ll just get us started here–

Privacy is a basic human need: Implying that only the dishonest people have need of any privacy ignores a basic property of the human psyche, and sends a creepy message of strong discomfort. We have a fundamental need for privacy. I lock the door when I go to the men’s room, despite the fact that nothing secret happens in there: I just want to keep that activity to myself, I have a fundamental need to do so, and any society must respect that fundamental need for privacy. In every society that doesn’t, citizens have responded with subterfuge and created their own private areas out of reach of the governmental surveillance, not because they are criminal, but because doing so is a fundamental human need.

“Arguing that you don’t care about the right to privacy because you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don’t care about free speech because you have nothing to say.”
― Edward Snowden

“The freedom of a country can only be measured by its respect for the rights of its citizens, and it’s my conviction that these rights are in fact limitations of state power that define exactly where and when a government may not infringe into that domain of personal or individual freedoms that during the American Revolution was called “liberty” and during the Internet Revolution is called “privacy.”
― Edward Snowden, Permanent Record

1 Like

Some reading …

1 Like

“I have nothing to hide but I don’t have anything to show you either.”

Also remind the nothing to hide crowd about how Hitler committed his genocides.

We would not opt into a system that hands over as much information as we currently do. If we had a choice, we would not chose the privacy-invasive, mainstream implementations of technologies we have today.

agreed.

another way to approach this issue is to say “okay, i have nothing to hide and therefor do not need privacy, but the same should be applied to EVERYONE.” . this means that the intelligence community and the billionaire class should be subjected to the same scrutiny that they would have for us.

i’m not actually advocating this, but if we are headed into a privacy-less future, let’s do it all the way, properly.

1 Like