I need a voice changer

Hello all,

Can anybody recommend me a good free voice changer software, and by that I don’t mean a ‘fun’ voice changer but one that can really hide your real voice including the pitch. The problem I have with most mainstream voice changer programs is that they don’t really hide your real voice, because when you tweak the pitch a bit through audacity you are able to tune into your real original voice.

1 Like

Also interested in the topic, let’s see what people have to say

You’ve named one yourself, audacity. DAWs (digital audio workstations) and other audio editing software are very capable. You get the control to change your voice recording as much as you see fit. However, I do question why you don’t just use text-to-speech.

Not Foss but looks promising Koe Recast - Recast

This is exactly what I need, too bad you can only record 30 seconds max.

Talking is easier than writing imo in some cases, I guess I could do it with audacity but I’m a noob at that software.

1 Like

Yeah that does suck

Ok, I assume you need it for entering a Zoom meeting whatsoever. If so, you will need way more than just something that changes your voice. First, you are right you would need something that changes the voice, changes the pitch, maybe also reduces the bits (I’m not so into sound - I mean you would need to make sure this can’t be reverse calculated like for example with blurring pictures - and yes, that’s been possible for 8 years already).

So I’m sorry to tell you, but free (closed) software is not the way you want to go, as you have no idea what happens to your data in the background. Also Audacity is no longer a good choice cause of their telemetry issues, maybe choose a fork of it without any telemetric gathering and try. But you won’t come around reading research about this topic in order to know what you are doing. Sorry.

And even if you have figured all this out…you need to change you way of speaking, your speaking speech, the pronunciation of your words - cause all of this is individually attached to you and pretty unique and can reveal a lot about your personality as well. There is actually a software which is used by Ranstad while recruiting new staff over the phone, it’s analyzing your voice, your way of speaking and provides the interviewer a personality profile. That software is in use since 2015 or so.

So whatever you are trying to do, it’s quite complicated.

2 Likes

I know this is an old post, but are there any hardware voice changers out here? I have tried many software implementations on Linux but they always seem to break or default to the normal microphone instead of the changed one. A hardware one will also eliminate the possibility of an app bypassing it.

One software voice changer:
https://voicechanger.io/

And here’s a couple options for what you actually asked for:
https://www.amazon.com/Handheld-Beautification-Function-Portable-Computer/dp/B0914SVWRX/ref=sr_1_15?crid=18OT6JO7H9T7K&keywords=voice+changer&qid=1670617366&sprefix=voice+changer%2Caps%2C283&sr=8-15

https://www.amazon.com/Roland-VT-4-Voice-Transformer/dp/B07JKLMDGX/ref=sr_1_41?crid=18OT6JO7H9T7K&keywords=voice+changer&qid=1670617366&sprefix=voice+changer%2Caps%2C283&sr=8-41

And pretty much any audio interface for podcasting will have plenty of voice changing options.