Hey thought I'd introduce myself

Hey there, I’m ProudPenguin2479, but you can call me Quinn. Im really into Linux and android, and hope to become a SysAdmin someday. You’ve probably already seen me replying to some posts around here, but thought I’d do a formal introduction. Some of my other interests other than Privacy and Security are books, music, and 3D Printing. Anyways, hope you all have a great day!

6 Likes

Nice to meet you Quinn!
I am also learning Linux as well and already in the space through IT support. Hoping to take it to other places someday :slight_smile:
Welcome to the Forums and hope to help you out when I can :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi Quinn, I am Josh (mHat). I am an IT support technician, and between me and h my line manager we manage around 113 client devices, on top of a enterprise network. So plenty to do😂.

2 Likes

Hi Josh, that sounds like quite a hectic job haha. Despite it sounding like a lot of work, it does sound fun though

1 Like

Thanks, I hope if you need any help I can be of help to you too!

Yeah, it is great fun, and a great opportunity to grow too. You constantly have to learn new technologies and approaches. You have to automate as much as possible, so you only have the important things left.

2 Likes

Automation is a lot of fun, I try to automate as much as I can as it is. Learning about new stuff is a lot of fun too.

What are you learning/trying to automate at the moment?

1 Like

I’ve been doing a lot of bash and python, trying to make scripts to setup Linux distros to my liking

1 Like

Nice! What distribution are you using as a base?

1 Like

Fedora, it’s my favorite all round distro

Okay nice, thinking of moving to fedora, although not a fan of Gnome personally, so would want to swap that out. I know, how could I not like Gnome?:joy:

1 Like

I mean it is really bloated, but also really sexy. If you don’t want it though, the everything under or one of the spins could be an option

Amazing choice! Fedora is (if you ask me) the perfect distro. For literally everyone.
Sane security standards (like SELinux ootb) and the possibility to add closed source packages are just two reasons to why.

And @mHat you might want to check out https://spins.fedoraproject.org/

2 Likes

I agree, I also love the release cycle, it’s like the perfect middle ground between being stable and rolling release

1 Like

Hi Quinn!
What kind of music do you listen to?
Been exploring new genres so might as well give yours a shot :blush:
Hmu with a list!

1 Like

I went on a distro swapping frenzy a couple months ago and couldn’t agree more!

2 Likes

That is another benefit. Stable releases, but still updates in between.
Unless you need/want a specific setup (like me with using musl), Fedora is most likely the best distro out there.

2 Likes

My favorite genres are Metal (and all subgenres), EDM, Vaporwave, Alt Rock

I really recommend checking out the band Johari, they’re seriously the most underrated band I’ve ever listened to. They’re a prog metal band from Kentucky, and their music is addictive to listen to. In terms of EDM, definitely check out Illenium, and for Vaporwave, you can’t go wrong with Dan Mason, or 3DBLAST

1 Like

Maybe we should have a music exchange topic? Most likely in uncategorized. That way others can find it as well :smile:

1 Like