Firefox New Cookie Management -

Firefox cookie protection

I have been using Librewolf so my questions are:

• Will Librewolf be adapting this?
  • Does this change Firefox’s standing in privacy?
  • What is the difference between this and containers (which I use in Librewolf)?

I can only answer your firs question and I am not even sure. But since basically every browser besides Chrome blocks cookies now (this can maybe help answer your second question) and libre worlf is a privacy focussed port it probably already blocks cookies.

• Will Librewolf be adapting this?

Probably.

• Does this change Firefox’s standing in privacy?

Kind of. Total cookie protection isn’t something new and you could enable it in about:config for a long time now.

• What is the difference between this and containers (which I use in Librewolf)?

Containers isolate all cookies, while FPI (privacy.firstparty.isolate in about:config, same thing as Total cookie protection) isolates 3rd party ones for each site (there are better examples online I’d imagine, but that is basically what FPI is). With this rolling out, containers would be useful pretty much only for if you want to have multiple accounts logged in (like say 2 different bank accounts but on the same site and you want to isolate the cookies to be able to do that).

1 Like

On Firefox, if you’ve been using the Strict setting under Enhanced Tracking Protection, then you’ve already been using Total Cookie Protection. This update is just announcing that it will be default for all users.

While you can block or delete cookies on Firefox, this feature is specifically focusing on keeping sites from access cookies left by other sites.

3 Likes

Thanks for this - I changed privacy.firstparty.isolate to ‘true’ - in my librewolf instance… and will turn off containers for now!