Experience with Apple's Lockdown Mode

I’ve been using Apple’s Lockdown Mode (newly introduced with iOS 16, iPadOS 16.1, and macOS 13.0 (Ventura) for several weeks now without issue.

One concern of mine that I think Lockdown Mode addresses very well is that it prevents anyone from copying the contents of your device without entering your passphrase. Here’s an example of how that can be useful. Say you’re a citizen of an authoritarian country like the United States. When you travel abroad and return home, U.S. Customs and Border Protection may demand to inspect your mobile devices. As a U.S. citizen or permanent resident, you have the right to refuse to provide your passphrase. (Non-U.S. citizens and permanent residents may also refuse, but they will likely be denied entry if they do.)

When you refuse to provide your passphrase, your devices may be seized and held for inspection (for potentially a very long time). Typically, an attempt will be made to copy and decrypt the contents of your device. Lockdown Mode prevents the copying of your device’s storage without entering its passphrase.

If you’re an Apple user and concerned enough about electronic privacy to be on this forum, I suggest trying out Lockdown Mode. (You’ll find it under Settings->Privacy & Security all the way at the bottom of the list of options.) If you later decide that Lockdown Mode is not for you, it’s easy to turn back off.)

2 Likes

In the movie Last seen alive with Gerald Butler. Gerald Butler (Will) saves his wife from meth heads kidnapping her. He went to the police not considering he was the prime suspect, the cops ask for a picture of her.
He unlocks the phone, goes to gallery, hands over the unlocked phone to the cop. The cop says I’m going to make a copy of this and leaves the room.
Does a copy mean photo copy or did the cop clone his phone.
This reply is mentioned because you never know what you will get into, his best intentions could have been used against him.

Edited because I found the name of the movie.

Naomi Brockwell has an amazing video on this as well using something called Apple Configurator.
Must watch for all iOS users.

One concern of mine that I think Lockdown Mode addresses very well is that it prevents anyone from copying the contents of your device without entering your passphrase.

Can this same functionality be accomplished without lockdown mode from Settings > Face ID & Passcode > Allow Access When Locked, Accessories set to OFF?

I think so, but I am not certain whether the protection is identical. Accessories access is turned off when in lockdown mode is enabled, as shown in the attached screenshot.

Based on my understanding, Lockdown just force-enables the feature. I don’t believe the protection is different. But if someone finds otherwise then definitely share that info along!

Thanks for sharing @Acolyte and @Henry. Good to know.