Does installing web apps on Android invade privacy?

I keep getting the pop-up from this site to install it as a web app, but I want to know if it’s unsafe like on iOS or if its just like visiting the website through a browser.

Edit: I was incorrect when assuming it was unsafe on iOS. Sorry for any confusion.

Web apps should open as they normally do, they’re almost like a wrapper to mimic an application on your phone.

I’m not sure what this is referring to. This functionality on iOS “Add to Homescreen” is no more or less safe than accessing the site directly in Safari.

It’s almost entirely a usability preference for both devices, if you prefer to access the site via your browser or if you want a shortcut and have the website live in its own ‘app’

5 Likes

When I said unsafe like iOS I was remembering a video that showed that the websites could track more if you install it as a web app. It was probably fake if you haven’t heard of it though.
Thanks for the reply I’ll probably use this website as an app from now on. :slightly_smiling_face:

I mean I haven’t heard of it, but that doesn’t mean it isn’t real - definitely share a link if you come across it! Are you by chance referring to the recent Instagram/TikTok incident where the apps were using their in-app browser to track individuals? If so, that’s a different issue.

1 Like

Oh yes sorry I must have remembered it wrong. Thanks again!

1 Like

If anything, using web apps on mobile can be more private for a few reasons.

1. Because you aren’t actually installing software on your phone and therefore avoid all of the tracking it would be doing in the background.
  2. To run as a web app, it is relegated to the permissions your browser uses. It also has to deal with your browser security as well as the OS security, so you’re increasing the layers of defenses.
  3. Lastly, many of the apps we install are the same or basically the same as the web app version, even down to the experience (ie Uber Eats). If the browser is telling you that you can install the web app to your phone, it will likely be a similar experience to a regular app.
1 Like