Disabling android apps

Hello guys,
does enybody know is it safe to disable system apps in android? I am not asking if it is safe to disable system apps which are vital for android system to work. Rather the question is about bloat apps like “google” or “google maps”…
I know that the system will work ok, but what will happen with the disabled apps? If there is vulnerability found in the app that is disabled, could it be exploited?

1 Like

Yes, you can mostly safely disable System Apps.

And no, if you never open the disabled app, it is unlikely (not an impossibility) a vulnerability in it can be exploited.

2 Likes

This is what I have used a few times for disabling apps on Android:

I reiterate the developer’s disclaimer:

DISCLAIMER: Use at your own risk. I am not responsible for anything that could happen to your phone.

3 Likes

+1 for the Universal Android Debloater. I used it many times on various phones from different vendors: Samsung, OnePlus, Huawei, Xiaomi, Oppo and Vivo. (Shame on my family for buying such garbage phones)

3 Likes

I have disabled many system apps (not just google or google apps but like “bookmark providers”, “partners bookmark providers”, “talkback”, “SIMToolkit”, “Google back up transport”, “Google contact sync” etc etc) (I would say uninstalled them via Universal Android Debloater rather than just disabled them) and my system is working totally fine. BUT YOU NEED TO DO IT ON YOUR OWN RISK AND GET TO KNOW ABOUT SPECIFIC APP AND ITS ROLE IN SYSTEM BEFORE TRYING TO BREAK YOUR SYSTEM. @ignoramous is ex AOSP dev he knows better about such stuffs.

1 Like

I am using software downloaded only from official app stores, so adb a nono. I am aware what it does because i have used it before.