Dealing with State Voter Records

By nature, voting records are public information. Specifically, my state considers a lot to be publicly accessible (address, sex, race, party affiliation, registration number and date, complete name, and voter history). This is a lot of information, and it doesn’t help that my state has made it all publicly available online with their search tool. Admittedly, this has been helpful when doing research on others, but I don’t want all that information out there. Is there anything I can do about this, or any way I could go about (legally) changing some of the information?

My State search requires a combination of Name, DOB, County and Zip Code, VUID (Voter Unique Identifier Number), state issued drivers license number. All these details about yourself you should guard.
Thankfully the results do not include a drivers license.

You can change or update online in my state.

To use this service, you need your:

  • Current Driver License or ID Card
  • Social Security Number
  • Voter Registration Card VUID (Voter Unique Identifier) Number.

In this discussion you have to make some huge changes to make an impact.

The last time I registered to vote a very eager man running for the school board had his wife register me to vote at my house she is a notary. You may be able to do this offline as I did.

I’m not sure if I’m able to change it online. I’m currently residing in another country, so anything voting related has already been a major pain. Regardless, I don’t know what I’d change the information to, anyway. I’m not trying to perjure myself.

Obviously, voting is important for bringing about change in the privacy and security sectors (and every other area of life). It’s a natural, fundamental right of democracy. I went to see what Michael Bazzell had to say on this topic, and he just recommends not registering to vote because the public information associated with it is hard (nearly impossible) to deal with. The options seem to be sacrificing some privacy in order to have a democratic say or sacrificing your right to vote in order to have a bit more privacy. Damned if you do and damned if you don’t.

1 Like

Since your living out of the country, how do you handle your mail. Choosing your mailing address has its advantages. My employer allows me to change my mailing address to anywhere and this helps a lot with mandatory must be mailed documents. My health insurance is in my mailing address from work. Not where I live.
My first suggest to you is Escapees RV club. You can move your drivers license to one of their address and vote in that county. No state income tax :slight_smile: mail forwarding.

I have a PO Box that I use, and I have a trusted family member forward me any important mail. I guess getting creative and seeing what sticks is a good strategy for when you must give an address.

I’ve looked into Escapee and other similar services, but I don’t think I’m willing to sacrifice municipal elections. I’m decently active politically, and not being a voter in the county I actually reside in isn’t a sacrifice I’m quite willing to make. Not to mention that I’m a student with a university residency requirement.

If your a traveling student you have some real legit options.
Your Drivers license in the state of your choice for school would be proof of residency, you recall the requirements.
Your current voting address can change with in the county your voting. People move. You need to be moved in early enough to get a card mailed for early voting.

You got the mail handled. Your Drivers license most accepted proof of residency, mailing address (PO Box handled by your nominee (trusted person)), voting address and physical address can all be different addresses. These are not real hectic transitions, and the Drivers License can be good for 10 years in some states.

BTW when you get a new license in the mail, report it lost in the mail. Mark your first card as your not for cops license. Wait for your new second license to come in. The second one is for the cops, you could keep it secure in the car.

1 Like

New Mexico has program called safe at home Safe at Home | Maggie Toulouse Oliver - New Mexico Secretary of State (formerly known as the Confidential Address Program) other states might have this program or similar.

Thanks for sharing this. My state also has something similar, but I 'm not going to lie and take advantage of a program meant to help survivors of domestic abuse.

I can’t speak to all state’s but New Mexico does not require any evidence to sign up for the Safe at home program. You can simply say I’m fearful someone stalking me for my political beliefs here in New Mexico.

Here you have to meet with an agent, develop a plan, be in the process of moving addresses, and sign a form declaring you’re fearful of your life.

Every state has a wide range of qualifications. Considering being active in voting, is their anything in your state for political offices even a volunteer fire fighter, EMT etc can qualify in some states for confidentiality.

1 Like

I’ll schedule a meeting with a lawyer when I’m stateside and see what I can workout

What’s the point in having 2 licenses? They’re identical… just a backup? @Perk1ns

They are actually not identical in one aspect most every state has a unique number for every card issued. Consider it a serial number.
The second or last card issued is the one you keep in your primary vehicle. Your first “lost” card is what you carry if you need a state ID for anything else. If you legally are changing your mailing address which you probably should do, depending on your state you will be asked for your old license, which you would present your valid license. After the move, you can still use your “lost” drivers license with the old address as you identification for various reasons, possibly for 10 years until it expires.
Using you passport for ID causes more suspicion but of course it has no address information which is useful.

1 Like