ChromeOS and Linux

In a collab with CTT, Henry from Techlore went over how he uses a MacBook for work and uses a virtual machine for personal matters. This is an excellent approach to privacy and security.

I have a question about this approach. If I enable the Linux container on a Chromebook, how exactly does it work? Is it like a separate virtual machine? A container? How would data collection and tracking work on the Linux container?

If I’m remembering correctly, the Linux developer environment in ChromeOS spins up a container than runs a Linux VM, so it’s both. Sometimes I mix up the order.

I don’t know how the tracking piece is affected, though. While I own a chromebook and will argue for its merits, I personally view the privacy of a chromebook to be around the privacy of stock Android. I’m not sure how accurate that is, but that’s how I treat it when I use it.

I couldn’t find any results for that on DuckDuckGo, but their FAQ appears to say that the Linux environment is in a virtual machine that has very little ability to talk with Chrome OS. So the virtual machine seems independent of Chrome OS at run. I don’t know if running the Linux container isolates your inputs or things you connect to from Google’s tracking, but I’d doubt it does.