BRAVE mystery question

I am hoping someone can explain to me something odd that happened to me with Brave Browser.
-I tested Brave as my daily driver for about 6 months and liked it, but decided to go back to Firefox.
I uninstalled Brave from my laptop.
After about a month I decided that it is useful to have 2 private browsers so I went to the Brave website, downloaded it again and re-installed it. When it opened it had the last 3 tabs open that I had visited.
How is that possible?
I fully uninstalled Brave, I did not simply delete the shortcut icon.

Are you on a Mac?

No. I’m on Windows. (I know…I know…)

1 Like

Okay, well on MacOS I had a similar issue where I uninstalled a browser and re-installed it later on and all of my settings where saved.

I found out, you have to delete the config files from an ‘Application Support’ folder. On Windows there will probably be something similar. If you dig around on your computer you might be able to find it.

Hmm.
Thanks for the suggestion.

1 Like

So that would be on my end then, right? It’s not that my information is being stored by Brave and they somehow know how to indentify my personal computer?

Yes, it is on your end. They most likely do this to make sure you do not lose your configurations if you uninstall then re-install the browser.

1 Like

You didn’t delete the data in the Application folder of Brave. Lol this isn’t a mystery. Just check the “Also delete my browsing history” next time.

1 Like

I think the assumption on the part of the user is that if a piece of software is deleted, any settings that were flipped or that existed in the app would also be gone. If I reinstalled a program I deleted, I would expect a default clean install, not my last three tabs that I had open. As far as I can tell, I think Brave should probably delete the config file so folks don’t think that by deleting the browser they’ve also deleted any associated data. Good to know that’s not the case!

1 Like