Best Linux distro for privacy?

I feel like there’s a lot of factors that play into something like this, and I’m never really sure what I should be using. Arch is rolling release and widely used, Void uses muscl / runit, Fedora has really really nice default stuff and it’s built on all FOSS, etc.

What are your guys’s thoughts? Think about actual usage, software availability, stuff like that.

Personally I use Void but I’m open minded and I might switch, who knows?

I think Fedora is a good option on the user-friendly end and Whonix, Tails, or Qubes are good for the highest threat models.

Do you know how Fedora is for gaming?

As good as any other, just use Steam/Proton.

There is the gaming focused derivative of Fedora called Nobara, but that’s a distro literally maintained by one person so I don’t think this is ideal.

The only gaming I’ve done is Minecraft. It works great, but that’s all I can speak to.

2 Likes

I have been PC gaming on windows for 23 years… But I am kinda done with Microsoft and am forcing myself to learn linux and switch my machines over. Currently running Manjaro on my Laptop. Of the Arch lineage, though many are saying it has changed too much to still be considered Arch… Anyway, I am looking for a simpler distro, and one that is fluid with proton… I have had issues with games that others say work fine on Linux.

This is not Linux, but if you care about privacy, just sue QuesOS.
Again, simply talking about privacy and security. Don’t forget, an insecure system will never be private.

It is as usable as any other Linux distro. You might struggle with NVIDIA drivers and Wayland, but if you’e on AMD, it is a really nice OOTB experience.

I use it, not as good as Windows, but still good. I do get better internet connection on Fedora than Windows though

Most Linux distributions will be good for privacy. Whether it’s a mainstream option like Ubuntu/Mint/Pop, Fedora, or Manjaro. Or, whether it’s something more niche, like Artix.

Though, I suppose the “most” private would be TailsOS. It’s basically a portable Linux distro, which means that it can run entirely through a USB key. No need to install it. Nothing gets saved to the computer. When in use, every piece of internet data, goes through Tor, by default. It is one of the most private operating systems. Now should you use it? It’s not going to be good for most folks.

Depends a lot. Lots of people say that privacy requires security, especially in Linux.
Mint and Pop still use xorg-x11 as the standard display manager and don’t utilize something like Xephyr, basically means that no matter what you’re doing, every single running application can see exactly what you’re doing.

There are lots of similar reasons to why Linux and privacy is not as straightforward as people are telling you (Windows might actually be better in a lot of cases). You need basic security before you can have actual privacy.

Fedora and Tails are mostly sane recommendations tho.

Xephyr has more performance issues compared to Wayland.

Switching to wayland would be a better option for Linux. But unfortunately the vast majority of Linux Community uses XOrg with exceptions being the Gnome and KDE and Sway.

Mate you are cherry picking stuff rn. Tails is a distro that is NOT meant to install apps or anything, the preinstalled apps are trusted not to do any malicious stuff. It’s a purpose made distro.

1 Like

Try out Fedora or OpenSUSE ( Gnome/KDE/Sway )

1 Like

I’m using Qubes OS, it gives you a lot of unique options for both privacy and security, and compartments greatly reduce the effect of most attacks.

You can configure the firewall for each qube individually, you can make disposable qubes, you can make fully offline qubes, and it comes with whoinx installed for Tor access which can be system-wide.

My main browser qube is disposable, if someone hacks my web browser it’s less of an issue everything gets deleted when I close the qube, and the firewall denies that qube access to my local network.

My email qube is only allowed to access the mail server, if someone sends me a malicious email, there is no way for them to directly communicate with the qube running the email client.

You can make offline qubes for safely storing sensitive/personal data.

If you want to run a suspicious application, you can make an offline qube that is disposable, whatever happens is fully contained in that qube, it can’t access the network, and everything is deleted when you close the qube, or you can allow the qube to access the internet using Tor.

There are some disadvantages to using Qubes OS aswell, there is no 3d acceleration you can pretty much forget about playing games. Video/audio works just fine, but don’t expect any games to run.

It is more picky about hardware than your traditional Linux distribution, it works on a lot of hardware but it’s not like a traditional Linux that runs on all hardware both new and old.

I won’t deny that, but you need some kind of xorg-x11 sandboxing if you want xorg-x11 to be private.

Might be because it is not a Linux distribution… But yes, QubesOS is pretty much the best privacy solution possible (at least if used properly). But it comes with probably the steepest learning curve of any operating system I know of.

That was not my experience, at the release of 4.1 I started using qubes as my daily driver, and I had no prior experience with the system.

I don’t think Qubes OS is nearly as difficult to use as people claim it is, if you have a good fundamental understanding of Linux you are not going to have much difficulty transitioning that knowledge to Qubes OS.

If something breaks it is a lot more complex to fix, for me that has been the main difference, but everything doesn’t break all at once, and it becomes a step-by-step learning process where you learn how to work with LUKS and Xen.

Most people don’t. I take this into account when saying that Qubes has a steep learning curve.
And you have to learn a lot about the specific privacy & security features of Qubes. While it probably only is a couple of days for most things, these can be a real pain in the as. That at least is what I hear from a lot of people.
And a couple of things you take for granted are just awful, like the usage of USB. This might require you to reboot your system every time you use a USB stick. At least this is what I heard from someone that used QubesOS for a couple of months, never had any problems on that end myself (but I also barely use USB sticks that are removed from one cube)

You recommended a Xen Hypervisor based OS in a thread titled “Best Linux distro for privacy”

Qubes is not a Linux Distribution and it also has it’s security limitations but better than all of the other options present out there.