Best FOSS Notion alternative

Hello everyone this is my first ever topic in any forum.

I have been using notion for note taking since year. I want to know is there any FOSS alternative with cloud sync just like notion?

2 Likes

I’m not for certain but I think Obsidian has cloud sync.

There is AppFlowy.io being developed as a direct alternative to Notion. FLOSS, self-hostable etc. I am not sure what is the status on synchronization, though.

3 Likes

My setup is just like a raspberry with Syncthing, a computer with syncthing and an android smartphone with syncthing-fork (sync every hour to save a lot of battery). Computer and android have Joplin with encrypted notes enabled. Every hour notes are synchronized with raspberry that sync them with other clients.
This is the best setup I can use, Joplin has less features than Notion but for my use is perfect.

1 Like

Notebooks - Privacy Guides has some options. I would also add Cryptee here as well (which is what I use in combination with Signal Note to Self)

2 Likes

I agree that this is a great setup. I could easily work with this alone, I think. Right now, I use Org mode for Emacs with Syncthing, but this is not convenient for mobile phones: AFAIK, there is no GUI to manage Org mode files on mobile phones. I use just standard text file editors instead.

2 Likes

If you use Dropbox, OneDrive, or Nextcloud, then don’t sleep on Joplin! Its interface isn’t as pretty as Notion’s but it’s a very powerful tool with lots of customization options.

2 Likes

You can pay for using obsidian sync service, or you can use nextcloud with syncthing.

1 Like

May I also suggest Anytype.io ? It’s in a closed Alpha right now, you just need to sign up for an onboarding call to get access. It’s E2EE, available on Win, Mac, Linux, Android & iOS, has Notion features + more.

They’re still building it, but it is very very feature rich.

1 Like