Best browser for privacy/security?

This is my third post in my 2 or so hours here :^)

But I need a secure and private browser. Right now I’m using Librewolf, a Firefox fork for security that also prevents fingerprinting. I also have the Tor browser on my machine. After reading through the stuff here, it seems like there’s no good browser. Firefox is apparently less secure than Chromium, but of course Chromium is controlled by Google (Yeah, FOSS, but still under Google’s reign). And Tor is also apparently insecure. Are there other independent, secure, private browsers?

This may help: https://privacytests.org/

2 Likes

check out this post:

maybe you can find an answer to your question.

I think librewolf is decent in terms of privacy ,it provides some out the box hardening over firefox. I personally use librefox but also have brave installed with the u-block origin extension which covers some fingerprinting issues with brave.
I am no security expert but i do often feel that chromium based browser would be better at security as it has much bigger community of developers like of chrome who constantly contribute upstream to fix any security vulnerabilities.
I often switch between both these browsers depending upon the work i need to do. For example on Brave i have separate profile for visiting any site which requires google account like gmail etc. So you can practice browser isolation too. Also i would prefer to keep google safe browsing toggled on , incase of librefox , as i am guessing it will do a better job at identifying any phishing or deceptive sites if you happen to come across any.
In case of Android i switch between bromite and brave , depending upon work.

If you’re looking for a perfectly private and secure browser, you’re not going to find it. This is where understanding your threat model is really important. It would also help to know which OS you’re using as some browsers integrate better with some OSes than others. If you’re using a Linux desktop distro and aren’t looking for anonymity, I think Librewolf is a great choice that balances privacy and security. If you need anonymity, the Tor Browser is pretty much the only good option. As far as I understand, Chromium’s security advantage over Firefox is minimal on desktop anyway, if you’re using Android it may be a different story. Vanilla Chromium is probably a good choice if you’re prioritizing security over privacy, though it still relies on a lot of Google services. Brave and UnGoogled Chromium mitigate this somewhat, but have their own cons (reliance on Chromium’s upstream code, a lot of unneeded crypto bloat in the case of Brave and usability sacrifices in the case of UnGoogled Chromium). No matter what browser you choose there will be another one that has some advantages you’re missing out on. It’s up to you to understand what each browser offers and what’s most important to you.

Privacy-wise I’d go with Firefox or LibreWolf. Security-wise I’d pick Edge.

I would pick a browser for different use cases.
General browsering with no account - Librewolf
Personal accounts - Brave.

1 Like

Much of Edge’s security is on Windows. They also scan all your downloads (hashes), hence providing poor privacy. Brave strikes a good balance between privacy and security. It has the “crypto shit” which adds attack surfaces but miles ahead in terms of security of Firefox or anything forked off of it (Librewolf, Mull, Fennec etc…)

On Mobile use Vanadium or Bromite.

If you are on Linux by any chance, you can try out chromium. Don’t use ungoogled chromium btw.

1 Like

Only way Firefox can gain security is by a complete rewrite of the browser and kicking Mozilla in the balls.

The short answer would be Vanadium (from GrapheneOS), the long answer is much more complicated.

Short answer:
Security: Chromium has multiple sandboxes and a sandbox escape is basically impossible. Firefox has much less sandboxing and it is far easier to escape it.
Privacy: About the same ootb.
So take Chromium

The long answer:
You can finetune a lot about Chromium and Firefox. The actual security really depends on your system. How is it compiled? What other programs are you running? What Add-ons are you running? and many more questions should be answered before we can definetely say how secure Chromium in your case is. Install it, go to chrome://sandbox and as long as it says You are adequately sandboxed, you should be fine. Next go to about Chromium and if it has anything below Version 105, figure out a way to get Chromium 105, if possible compiled with proper CLANG flags.

If you are able to have adequately sandboxed and a current Chromium version, Chromium will be superior in the security aspect.

Next about the privacy aspect:
Stock Chromium & Firefox can be compared. Chromium will always have a couple of Google parts in it, simply because you need them for security. On Firefox you can disable more, but you also will not be able to have proper security. So theoretically Firefox wins this.
But other browser exist, like Brave. While I personally do not know a lot about them, using a Chromium-based browser that is privacy focused probably is the best choice.

My personal answer is:
Vanadium > Chromium > Firefox

I’m pretty happy with Brave

It probably is a good choice, I just haven’t looked that much into them.
AFAIK they’re less than a week behind Chromium updates, so it should be okay. It also is fully FOSS, so privacy should not be a problem, but that I can’t really comment on due to not enough knowledge.

I will stick with LibreWolf, but maybe check out Links and Pale Moon.

Links does not support js, which means you could use it as a more secure onion browser
Pale Moon is pretty much perfect, but it does look pretty horrible and probably does not have the addons you are currently using.

Pale moon is the last thing you want to use. Firefox is insecure and then there is pale moon a more insecure and outated version of firefox.

1 Like

Vanadium isn’t avaliable outside of Graphene.

Sarcasm: But it’s not Firefox, it uses it’s own render engine! A much better fork of the Gecko engine.

And for real: Pale-Moon kinda fucking sucks and should be avoided (even tho I really LOVE the design)

Doesn’t change the fact that it’s one of the best (afaik basically the best) browser for privacy and security. Especially if paired with a proper VPN

People need something for their desktops and androids. My desktop recommendation would be Brave and for Androids (not graphene) would be Bromite.

Many of the vanadium patches are in there in bromite. But recently Micay got into a heated argument with csagan5 (Developer of Bromite) resulting in Micay asking csagan5 to remove all Vanadium patches from Bromite. But I still trust Bromite org. to make a secure browser for it’s users.

That’s why my second recommendation is Chromium. The best browser on desktop that I have used so far, but I also haven’t really looked at Brave (and Bromite not at all due to the existence of Vanadium).
If you read my long message a bit, you will also see the following:

I acknowledge the existence of Brave (and similar projects), just don’t recommend them due to not knowing enough about them.

And can you link this? Am interested in what you’re talking about here.

I agree. But, I found browser hopping in search of the perfect browser got old fast and at the end of the day I need a browser. So I picked the least bad choice for me that I liked the most and made certain I understood my configuration options.

Some good info to consider: Desktop Browsers - Privacy Guides and I’m leaving Firefox, and this is the browser I picked…

1 Like