Attempted Dualboot

So I recently installed Debian 11 to a partition in my drive to dualboot alongside windows, but whenever I attempt to boot into the partition, it skips Debian and just goes straight to windows, how do I fix this? I’m aware of switching from Intel RST to AHCI, but I don’t want to break my windows boot.

(Sympathizing more than helping)

Windows seems to make it really hard to properly dual boot on purpose. I know that you can buy software that will rewrite the boot list correctly.

I gave up on Windows once it “maliciously” deleted access to my Linux partition. Perhaps in the future run Windows exclusively on a virtual machine.

2 Likes

:weary: I just spent like 4 hours trying to figure it out and I went down a rabbit hole of windows screwing up partitions and then me screwing up partitions. Such a painful process to dualboot now.

the best way to dual boot is having two physical SSDs one for Windows and one for Linux and keep them separate.

To switch between booting Linux or Windows just use the BIOS/UEFI to change the Boot drive selected. The modern systems often have a special key to change the boot order on the fly without the need to enter the full UEFI.

this way windows is not aware of a 2nd Operating system and does not try to mess them up most of the time.

I cannot give any tips on how to setup win10/Linux dual boot in detail my last try at dual booting was during the windows xp and win7 era. I never made the switch to Win10 instead i switched from win7 to Linux a little over two years ago.

1 Like

Read this and be happy UEFI boot: how does that actually work, then? | AdamW on Linux and more.

1 Like

I know this is not a solution at all, but have you considered migrating to Linux entirely? This would circumvent the dual boot problem… but people do use dual boot for a reason so I understand. :sweat_smile:

from my experiance the ONLY safe way to dual is unplug your alt os drive, install your linux drive, install linux to that linux drive. uninstall the linux drive. reboot into your original os drive after u re-attach it.
now after u shut down and unplug reinstall the linux drive. you now have 2 seperate drives, and this is the first time u are starting under the select f12 , chose your start drive

it is not a option where you can alttab into the other os, it is a reboot to the other drive setup.
other then this you need to run virtual machines to make a enviroment in an alt enviroment.

not what people want to hear, but this is the only way i see hard drives and data not getting destroyed

it is possable yes.
but i am not inteligent enough to explain all that.

Yeah I agree, attempting to dualboot on the same drive was a mistake.

while in Linux you CAN start windows on the separate drive using a VM.
it can be a bit fiddly but works quite well.

I havent done it myself so i can say anything if that breaks windows when you boot it again on bare metal.

This seems to be a popular choice you could look into passing the gpu through to the VM if you need the power of a GPU in win10 as well.

1 Like