Are private browsers as secure as Chrome or Edge?

I know that browsers like Brave and Librewolf are very good in privacy, but are they as secure from vulnerabilities as something like Chrome or Edge?

These private browsers don’t receive updates as often, and they’re based on Chromium and Firefox respectively, so they may receive delayed updates. I know that Chromium based browsers are usually more secure than firefox based browsers in terms of patches.

So are browsers like Brave and Librewolf as good at getting vulnerabilities patched as Chrome or Edge? Is the difference so significant that the browser becomes a security threat?

Brave seems to be doing good with updates. It’s basically better Chrome at this point. (I would prefer them removing crapware but I guess we can’t get it all.)

Edge is mostly for Windows. Much of the Edge’s security stuff are linked to Windows(the same way Vanadium does stuff w/ Graphene). Much of their security features are Windows exclusive so I guess Brave/Chrome and others falls apart to Edge in terms of security.

Is Brave as secure as Chrome? Yes! Because they are from the same chromium build.
Is Brave as secure as Edge (Windows)? No.

Firefox has a very bad reputation when it comes to security. LibreWolf/Mull shares the same issues.
I honestly think they shouldn’t be used on Android as they don’t have any kind of sandbox. But on Windows security is a bit better although they are not as good as Chromium.

Brave:Yes! W/ a few notable exceptions.
Librewolf: I don’t really use it as it’s putting trust on Librewolf devs. They state they update frequently within same day or 2/3 days. I don’t think that’s much of a problem. And if your threat model is in need of high security you probably should use Brave.

1 Like

Thanks for your response, I want to use Brave for sensitive logins and sensitive accounts that I want to protect. Prolly going to use Firefox or Librewolf for general web browsing or for coding stuff. And maybe Chrome just for google login.

How is the privacy of Microsoft Edge? Is ungoogled chromium as secure as Chrome?

1 Like

It’s worse. Relevant Post explaining why: ungoogled-chromium

You can just create a separate Brave profile to handle that I guess. But your choice nonetheless.

It’s Microsoft. Will probably start collecting stuff from you in the start page.

Yeah, I hate how they’re enforcing all Windows 11 computers must have a Microsoft account tied to them. A study was done a few years ago checking how much data desktop browsers send to their parent companies. Edge and Yandex sent back the most data to Microsoft or Yandex respectively. Firefox and Brave had the least tracking, but Firefox has changed now. Chrome and Safari were in the middle, but Safari was a little better than chrome at how much data it sent home to Apple.

1 Like

They haven’t. They are all in for censorship. They don’t look like they care anymore about security of their said browser. (Since Fission has been in development for ~6 yrs. now; No GPU Sandboxing on Linux and not developing a proper sandbox for Android.) I despise Mozilla these days. Why should we the users make a compromise on our security on the web to “save the web” or “competition is good” like bro Chromium’s engine has better security and better performance than Firefox. The only real competition is b/w Blink(Chrome’s engine) and WebKit(Safari engine). Any fool can hack Firefox these days.

I agree, Firefox is no longer the browser it was intended to be. They integrated Google tracking too.

True, even the actual FIrefox browser (not forks of it) is very delayed in patches and has weak security. That’s why I use it only for general web browsing, I refrain from logging into accounts on a Firefox browser.

Even that’s a bad idea these days since malicious sites can exploit Firefox’s security holes and worse, they may have a RCE on you. So you better use Firefox very safely.

+1 for Brave as the better/easier (than Chrome) cross-platform option for many and +1 for Brave at least providing an option to disable/hide the crapware with one click to give the end-user the option of a browser being a browser period.

I think these two resources are worth reviewing to make the best informed decision for you:

and