Android - What apps are you running?

Just wondering if anyone here uses Android. If so what kinds of apps are you running?

Nextdns/protonVPN/bitwarden

Far too many! Actually still less than stock Samsung probably tho.

I’ll focus on my main user profile. The others are for different security purposes. This is just the “stuff I use daily”/“stuff that I trust enough to be run ‘permanently’”

Communication:
Element
Protonmail
K-9 Mail
Telephone
Messaging
Contacts

Internet:
Vanadium
Nextcloud
ProtonVPN
NewPipe

Stores:
Aurora
F-Droid (not installing from here, for exploring FOSS apps)

Misc:
Apps
Auditor
Calculator
Camera
Clock
Files
FreeOTP+
Files
Galery
Konfiguration (Sim card stuff)
Offi (public transport)
OSMAND
PDF Viewer
ProtonCalendar
Settings
VLC

1 Like

ahhh yeah. that’s what I’m talkin about. thanks!!!

1 Like

Internet:
Bromite
Brave
Bitwarden
Simple dialer
Signal
Standard notes
Protonmail
ProtonVPN
Proton Calendar
Feeder
Mull
Neo Store
ViMusic

Offline:
Aegis
Bouncer
ExifEraser
Simple gallery pro
Simple contacts pro
Organic maps
Openboard
Open keychain
Shelter
Sentry
Simple file manager pro

2 Likes

NextCloud NewPipe, CalyxVPN, OpenVPN, TOR, BitWarden, andOTP

As little as possible, but still too many. I’ll list just a few.

• Mullvad VPN
  • Aegis
  • Brave
  • Koler
  • Joplin
  • ProtonMail (as PWA)
  • Invidious (as PWA)
  • Infinity for Reddit
  • Ghost Commander
  • Privacy Indicators
  • Signal
  • Session
  • F-droid
  • Shelter
  • SimpleLogin

these are some really good apps.

1 Like

Recommended Apps from F-Droid is a good reference list.

Just a comment as lots of people seem to use F-Droid.

You might already know what I am linking now (especially if you follow my posts here), but this is something to take into consideration when using F-Droid A brief and informal analysis of F-Droid security | Wonder's Lab
F-Droid and security (therefore also privacy) is a really mixed bag. Yes, the apps itself are amazing, bzt the practices behind it are just bad. Especially the “we don’t care/don’t show the target SDK”
Higher target SDK means potentially much better security. F-Droid hiding this basically means “we don’t care about the security of our users”, which I find really sad.
Another problem is that they delay updates a lot. I don’t have to explain how this is dangerous hopefully…

1 Like

I’ll list some:

• OpenCalc (Basically Google Calculator without the bloat, even with Material You Support)
  • Droid-ify (Better F-Droid client)
  • FlorisBoard (very customizable keyboard)
  • NewPipe (FOSS Youtube client)
  • PocketPlan (Notes + To do)
  • Signal (the best messenger)
  • OsmAnd (offline maps)

I recently watched You should uninstall F-Droid - Part 1 and audited all my apps and more/less followed the suggestions at privacyguides.org. I feel the balancing act of privacy vs security for Android apps has gotten more complicated.

1 Like

It is pretty easy
Step one: Use F-Droid to explore FOSS, use Aurora to check extra metadata (like target SDK)
Step two: Download from the applications GitHub and create some kind of script that checks if there is a new version (on a PC)

I set a 3 week reminder notifying me to check version updates. Not the best solution but it keeps me aware.

If it works for you :+1:
I just list what I use/think is best, but I also know that it doesn’t work for everyone.

1 Like

If you grab your apps from GitHub, GitLab, or most other FOSS forges you can very easily add those app release feeds to any standard RSS reader:

1 Like

Droid-ify installed and actually works in comparison to F-Droid :confounded:. great advice. thank you. :ok_hand:

1 Like

On de-googled phone Kindle App is the most questionable and to me indispensible. I am a book-aholic.

@s3r4g Does Kindle App support .pdf files?

Take a look at https://koreader.rocks/
You don’t need the kindle app to read ebooks, you only need it if you use Amazon to purchase your ebooks (and even then you probably can remove the DRM and convert it into a .epub file with calibre).