Adding Onion Address

I think having the forum mirrored to an onion address would suit this website perfectly.

3 Likes

This is a great idea! Although seeing one of the reasons Henry had to kill the matrix server and leave the discord one up is spreading privacy to people who are just starting maybe they won’t.

On the other hand it encourages the use of TOR just for the sake of privacy. Not because you want to do something illegal. And that is very important.

1 Like

I’m not saying that they should remove the clearnet version but having it mirrored would definitely aid some people’s threat models and it would even normalize the Tor Network.

I agree with you. I feel normalizing the Tor Network is really important. But I feel that mirroring the forums on a .onion is a similar things to the discord-matrix bridge we used to have, so they can use the same reasoning to not mirror the site.

1 Like

Onion services exist in order to provide anonymity. Since your onion domain name is ed25519 keys in a local directory, hosting it on anything but a device you have access to can be counted as compromised. If the onion site was to be hosted on the same server as the clearnet discourse, there is no point in doing so because… there is no anonymity to be provided. Hosting onions may have network wise performance benefits, but it is not needed on a forum when you can run Invidious videos through Tor without buffering.

3 Likes